Welcome to Issue 37 - the first issue for 2003. A new year, new war, Indonesian studies in Australia again in a slump?
We need your contributions: links with Indonesia, what your institution is doing, achievements,special offerings, problems being faced at present, interesting new approaches,reviews of publications, news of government initiatives (or those needed),even professional gossip (who is where now), conference calls, useful websites. All these things help us to keep in touch in between our biennial ASILE and ASAA Conferences.
proceedings of ASILE conferences and other articles will be posted
on the WACANA e-journal at http://intranet.usc.edu.au/wacana/
Aveling, Latrobe U
Mahnken, Sunshine Coast
The Indonesian Studies Newsletter
of the Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA)
Issue 37 January - April 2003
- 7th National Conference of ASILE in Adelaide 7-8 July 2003 - "Spice up your Indonesian"!
- The Chinese in Indonesia 2003 - two good articles via Charles Coppell
- ACICIS Resident Director
- Julia Read at Deakin is retiring - story coming
- The Learning Place online resource
- Teachers must focus more on students Jakarta Post
- ABC Radio National programme: In Memory of Herb Feith transcript and Real Audio
- The Hot Seat by Richard Woolcott- book launch Brisbane
- The fate of ACICIS - 2003
- "Black Paradise" Concert from and for West Papua
- Associate Professor Timothy Lindsey 's site is a hoard of resources from very readable press articles to the erudite and finely focussed. See links to his Work in Progress, Indonesia: recent work and Asian Law online bibliographic database, among others.
- Berita gembira dari Yacinta Kurniasih Stagg at Monash
- How Julia Lambert got to Manado - an adventure in itself and insights of an Aussie LOTE teacher.
- Mengapa AS tidak akan menyerang Indonesia
- The Indonesia Council Open Conference (ICOC) 2003 at ANU 29-30 September 2003
- FLAGS, HEROISM AND TEARS:
An Australian teacher's view of Nationalism in Java
- NSW Premier's Translation Prize Harry Aveling and Jennifer Lindsay shortlisted
- Book launch 26 May 2003 Challenging Authoritarianism in Southeast Asia; Comparing Indonesia and Malaysia by
Ariel Heryanto and Sumit K. Mandal (eds)
RoutledgeCurzon (London and New York), 2003, ISBN: 0-415-30941-7
- First International Conference on Pedagogies and Learning - New Meanings for a New Millennium at USQ, 1 - 4 October 2003
- Your views and news, please.