ISN Issue 67
Welcome to Issue 67 - firstissue for 2013.
Editor: Phillip Mahnken,
"... this is an idea whose time has come, or perhaps I should say has come again,” Mr Abbott said.
Shadow foreign minister Julie Bishop, prime mover behind the new plan, said the Coalition wanted study and work experience in the region, from Pakistan in the west to Fiji in the east, to become “a rite of passage” open to every Australian undergraduate.
“If we are truly serious about broadening and deepening our engagement in Asia we need a grand initiative, a signature policy (and one) that will go on in perpetuity,” she said.
Forrest, ANZ support new Colombo plan Bernard Lane 23 March 2013
My commitment tonight is to work urgently with the states to ensure that at least 40 per cent of Year 12 students are once more taking a language other than English within a decade." Hon. Tony Abbott, Leader of Federal Opposition, Budget Reply Speech, 10 May 2012
Anthony Milner, Basham Professor of Asian History, Australian National University
The "Asian Century" does not call for a reinvention of the Australian community - we would be wrong to fear an assault on our national values and institutions.
But it is necessary to assess our national skill-set and our mental preparation. What we have now is an Australian community in which almost no one learns an Asian language, and the study of Asian societies and histories is virtually ignored in our schools. This cannot be a good basis for the task ahead. Read the full article.
Indonesian language learners and native speakers discussion group (all polite topics allowed, except commercial spam), sign up at indonesian_learners
If you are looking for a real beginners e-group, better to join: australiaindonesia
|| The Indonesian Studies Newsletter
of the Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA)
Issue 67 January - April 2012
- Geraldine Doogue's ABC Radio series on Indonesia started last Saturday (also see seven part 2012 series on Working in Asia)
- Investors Should Get Wise and Take Indonesia on Board by Rowan Callick 31 January 2013 The Australian
- Australia: Links with Asia Urged by Jane Howard 19 Dec 2012
- Business backs Tony Abbott on Asia scholarships Greg Sheridan
25 Feb 2013
- Indonesia shrugs at rising religious violence: report Michael Bachelard SMH February 28, 2013
- Margaret Norris's flyer about her proposed Lombok study tour for school students 1 March 2013
- Alexander Downer: Time to start caring about Indonesia next election Adelaide Advertiser 3 March 2013
- FM Carr Urges Indonesian Study March 5, 2013 The Australian
by Milanda Rout
- Asian languages need to be boosted in NZ schools 5 March 2013
- Government bemoans crisis, ignores advice by Bernard Lane, The Australian
11 March 2013
- The Reverse Colombo Plan gets support Bernard Lane 23 March 2013
- Hannah Allcock - Indo n me - student and traveler experiences in Kalimantan, Lombok, Komodo and Aceh
- Angus McIntyre on Imam Samudra - biography of Islamist bomber - Monash seminar
- Indonesian Language Education in Australia: Politics, Policies and Responses by Firdaus in Asian Studies Review
- The Problem in Policy: Representations
of Asia Literacy in Australian Education
for the Asian Century
Peta Salter James Cook University Asian Studies Review 5 Mar 2013.
- Indonesian, Korean and French curriculum consultation opens - media release by Minister Peter Garrett
and Minister for Trade, Tertiary Education and Asian Century Policy Craig Emerson. Draft languages curricula and public comments: www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/consultation.
- THE WHITE PAPER Australia in the Asian Century launched by the PM 28 Oct 2012
- Mind your language Tim Lindsey 30 Oct 30, 2012 The big vision's all very well but will we spend up big time to salvage Asian studies before time runs out
- More than 10 000 Australian students AsiaBound Minister Chris Evans
31 Oct 2012
- Australian talent scouts on the hunt for contemporary Indonesian artists Lateline ABC TV 1 Nov 2012
- Opportunity knocks, but the door has to open both ways Ross Gittins The Age 31 Oct 2012
- Australia Is Coming to Asia, Speaking Asian Languages By Dewi Anggraeni, The Jakarta Post, 2 Nov 2012
- See Adrian Vickers and David Hill Facebook pages for many other links to White Paper Commentary
- Indonesia in the Asian century Victoria University Wed 31 Oct 12. Southeast Asian experts discuss the state of Indonesian politics in a public seminar at Victoria University. "Despite current clamour about facing an 'Asian Century', serious public discussion on what is happening in Indonesia is close to nil in Australia," said seminar convenor Dr Max Lane
- Unis to help fund more study in Asia by Bernard Lane, 5 Nov 12, The Australian
- ANDREW O’NEIL Asia paper long on vision, short on detail 30 OCT 2012
- Australia in the Asian Century White Paper: a generational reboot by Donna Weeks
- Jayasuriya plugging-into-asia-must-go-far-beyond-trade
- Treasury PANEL DISCUSSION: SESSION 4 - VIDEO & TRANSCRIPT
- Public Forum: The Prospects for Peace in West Papua 7 Nov at Victoria University. Octo Mote is a former journalist at Kompas, in exile in US since 1999, Human Rights Fellow at Yale Law. Contact Richard Chauvel at Vic U.
Oldies but goodies
- Herb Feith Memorial Lecture by David Hill, 1 Aug 2012 at Uni. Melbourne
- Dr Ken Henry
Speech to the 2012 Biennial Conference of the Asian Studies Association of Australia
13 July 2012 on the forthcoming White Paper "Australia's Future in the Asian Century" [full details at http://asiancentury.dpmc.gov.au/]
- DARMASISWA SCHOLARSHIPS via the Indonesian Embassy in Canberra. One year at an Indonesian institution studying the area of your choice (national and regional languages, music, dance, arts, etc) Dr. Agus Sartono, the new Education and Cultural Attaché has fifty scholarships to allocate and is keen to hear from applicants at any time. Further Darmasiswa Information is available at http://darmasiswa.depdiknas.org/It's a once-in-a-lifetime and life-changing experience!
Relevant reading in past issues for students, teachers, scholars, lobbyists, citizens,.
Issue 66 Issue 65,Issue 64, Issue 63, Issue 62 61, 60, 59, 58, 57, 56, 55, 54, 53, 52, 51 50 49 48 47 46 45 44,43,42, 41, 40,39, 38, 37, 36, 35, 34, 33, 32, 31, 30, 29, 28, 27, 26
5th International Conference
on Indonesian Studies (ICIS)
of Univeristas Indonesia
to be held in Yogyakarta 13-15 June 2013
ASILE 2012 and KIPBIPA VIII at UKSW in Salatiga ASILE: 1-4 October 2012
Website : http://ltc.uksw.edu/kipbipa-asile/
Era Baru, Semangat Baru: Peningkatan intensitas kerja sama program BIPA di Dalam dan Luar Negeri
Submission of proposals for papers, workshops etc using one door system http://linguistlist.org/confcustom/kipbipa-asile
Details on payment options for ASILE participants and all information will be updated in the Pendaftaran/Registration page of the website asap
Please like our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/kipbipa.asile
or follow us on twitter: @kipbipaasile2012
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA)
19th Biennial Conference 2012
The University of Western Sydney
11 - 14 July 2012
* * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
ASILE 2010: June 2010 flyer
Maju Bersama - Lanjutkan!
Collaboration and Other Learning Initiatives
Venue: UNSW@ADFA, Campbell, ACT
Dates: 29-30 September 2010 (followed by FREE Indonesia Update @ANU 1-2 October)
Registration: $225, early bird $200
ASILE home at wikispaces
ASILE 2009 Homepage at MLTA NSW
ASILE 2009 archive (slideshare) also D Reeve's on methodology
ASILE 2007 Conference Proceedings
from the Sunshine Coast
and selected archived presentations from previous ASILE conferences at WACANA
State and Territory Associations of Teachers of Indonesian
INTAN South Australia
WILTA Western Australia
Balai Bahasa Perth
ITA NSW NSW