ISN Issue 68
Welcome to Issue 68 - second issue for 2013.
Editor: Phillip Mahnken,
"... this is an idea whose time has come, or perhaps I should say has come again,” Mr Abbott said.
Shadow foreign minister Julie Bishop, prime mover behind the new plan, said the Coalition wanted study and work experience in the region, from Pakistan in the west to Fiji in the east, to become “a rite of passage” open to every Australian undergraduate.
“If we are truly serious about broadening and deepening our engagement in Asia we need a grand initiative, a signature policy (and one) that will go on in perpetuity,” she said.
Forrest, ANZ support new Colombo plan Bernard Lane 23 March 2013
My commitment tonight is to work urgently with the states to ensure that at least 40 per cent of Year 12 students are once more taking a language other than English within a decade." Hon. Tony Abbott, Leader of Federal Opposition, Budget Reply Speech, 10 May 2012
Anthony Milner, Basham Professor of Asian History, Australian National University
The "Asian Century" does not call for a reinvention of the Australian community - we would be wrong to fear an assault on our national values and institutions.
But it is necessary to assess our national skill-set and our mental preparation. What we have now is an Australian community in which almost no one learns an Asian language, and the study of Asian societies and histories is virtually ignored in our schools. This cannot be a good basis for the task ahead. Read the full article.
Indonesian language learners and native speakers discussion group (all polite topics allowed, except commercial spam), sign up at indonesian_learners
If you are looking for a real beginners e-group, better to join: australiaindonesia
The Indonesian Studies Newsletter
of the Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA)
Issue 68 May - August 2013
- Indonesian Teachers’ Conference in Sydney with over 90 primary and high school teachers attending from all school sectors. Kompas
- Money talks in any language. Comprendo? Daniel Flitton 24 May 2013 The Age
- International Journal of Foreign Language Teaching Vol. 8 Num. 1, May, 2013 (entire journal)
- Foto zoekt Familie 321 pre-WWII photo albums from the Dutch East Indies online
- David T. K. Wong Creative Writing Fellowship is an annual award of £26,000 to enable a fiction writer who wants to write in English about the Far East to spend a year in the UK, at the University of East Anglia in Norwich.
- Resourceful Indonesian new database of Indonesian language teaching and learning resources by Jim Athanasiadis and collaborators, Queensland. Growing daily, please contribute.
- AsiaBound $37 million AsiaBound Grants Program - homepage at Australian Education International
- AIM Overseas analysis of AsiaBound Grant Program Guidelines – written analysis as well as a video analysis
- More than beef, boats and Bali ABC Television program Q & A in Jakarta with panellists: Panellists: Dewi Fortuna Anwar, Senior advisor to Indonesian Vice President Boediono; Tim Lindsey, Director, Centre for Indonesian Law, Islam and Society; Yuli Ismartono, Deputy Editor in Chief of Tempo magazine; Rafendi Djamin, Human Rights Advocate; Yenny Wahid, Islamic activist & daughter of late former President "Gus Dur" Wahid; and Meidyatama "Dimas" Suryodiningrat, Editor in Chief of The Jakarta Post.
- Australia to increase people-to-people links with Indonesia Joint media release Minister for High Ed and Prime Minister 05 Jul 2013
- Lowy Institute welcomes Federal Government support for project to engage Asia Engaging Asia Project
- All benefit when cultures meet from Nov 2012 but still a lovely positive article
- School subject review considers axing mandatory languages Tanya Chilcott The Courier-Mail 5 August 2013 - Queensland government cost cutting and dumbing down again!
- Judy Shelley of Australia Indonesia Arts Alliance also operates Colours of the World School Tours Looks like excellent value.
- Professor Sharon Bell, DVC, Charles Darwin University, Our Asian centuries: provenance and proximity Professorial Lecture delivered 2 July 2013. Thought provoking mixture of personal history, history of Australian identities, critique of the Asian Century White Paper.
- Indonesian Arts Scholarship
- Draft F-10 Australian Curriculum: Languages: Indonesian from Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA)
- Asia and Australia’s engagement with Asia cross-curriculum priority in the National Curriculum
- The Centre for Teaching Asian Languages and Cultures (CTALC), Faculty of Arts and Education, Deakin University, is pleased to announce that nominations are open for The Indonesian Language Teacher of the Year Award 2013.
The award recognises the outstanding contribution of Indonesian language teachers in Australia in classroom teaching and also to Indonesian language teaching and learning activities overall in this country. Also the inaugural
Indonesian student of the year 2013 DEADLINE FOR NOMINATION: 5 PM, FRI 18 OCT 2013
- Ambitious conference After The Act of Killing: Historical Justice and the 1965-66 Mass Killings in Indonesia with participation from John Roosa (in Vancouver), Joshua Oppenheimer (in Copenhagen), Paul Barber (in London), and many in Jakarta and Melbourne. Full proceedings webcast live. All sessions will be converted into a YouTube file. Further details will be available on the Herb Feith Foundation website after the conference.
Lost in translation: Development versus tradition RN recording at Melbourne Writers Festival, fascinating discussion of languages, losing languages, anthropologists, participatory development, museum cultures, tourism culture, and more.
Oldies but goodies
- Herb Feith Memorial Lecture by David Hill, 1 Aug 2012 at Uni. Melbourne
- Dr Ken Henry
Speech to the 2012 Biennial Conference of the Asian Studies Association of Australia
13 July 2012 on the forthcoming White Paper "Australia's Future in the Asian Century" [full details at http://asiancentury.dpmc.gov.au/]
- DARMASISWA SCHOLARSHIPS via the Indonesian Embassy in Canberra. One year at an Indonesian institution studying the area of your choice (national and regional languages, music, dance, arts, etc) Dr. Agus Sartono, the new Education and Cultural Attaché has fifty scholarships to allocate and is keen to hear from applicants at any time. Further Darmasiswa Information is available at http://darmasiswa.depdiknas.org/It's a once-in-a-lifetime and life-changing experience!
Relevant reading in past issues for students, teachers, scholars, lobbyists, citizens,.
Issue 67 Issue 66 Issue 65,Issue 64, Issue 63, Issue 62 61, 60, 59, 58, 57, 56, 55, 54, 53, 52, 51 50 49 48 47 46 45 44,43,42, 41, 40,39, 38, 37, 36, 35, 34, 33, 32, 31, 30, 29, 28, 27, 26
5th International Conference
on Indonesian Studies (ICIS)
of Univeristas Indonesia
to be held in Yogyakarta 13-15 June 2013
ASILE 2012 and KIPBIPA VIII at UKSW in Salatiga ASILE: 1-4 October 2012
Website : http://ltc.uksw.edu/kipbipa-asile/
Era Baru, Semangat Baru: Peningkatan intensitas kerja sama program BIPA di Dalam dan Luar Negeri
Submission of proposals for papers, workshops etc using one door system http://linguistlist.org/confcustom/kipbipa-asile
Details on payment options for ASILE participants and all information will be updated in the Pendaftaran/Registration page of the website asap
Please like our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/kipbipa.asile
or follow us on twitter: @kipbipaasile2012
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA)
19th Biennial Conference 2012
The University of Western Sydney
11 - 14 July 2012
* * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
ASILE 2010: June 2010 flyer
Maju Bersama - Lanjutkan!
Collaboration and Other Learning Initiatives
Venue: UNSW@ADFA, Campbell, ACT
Dates: 29-30 September 2010 (followed by FREE Indonesia Update @ANU 1-2 October)
Registration: $225, early bird $200
ASILE home at wikispaces
ASILE 2009 Homepage at MLTA NSW
ASILE 2009 archive (slideshare) also D Reeve's on methodology
ASILE 2007 Conference Proceedings
from the Sunshine Coast
and selected archived presentations from previous ASILE conferences at WACANA
State and Territory Associations of Teachers of Indonesian
INTAN South Australia
WILTA Western Australia
Balai Bahasa Perth
ITA NSW NSW