ISN Issue 73
Welcome to Issue 73 - first issue for 2015.
Editor: Phillip Mahnken,
"Diplomatic spats over execution of Bali 9 duo
Australian PM Plays Down Bullying Allegations in Spat With Indonesia
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott attempted on Thursday to play down allegations of bullying Indonesia as a diplomatic rift deepens between the uneasy neighbors over Jakarta's planned executions of two Australian drug smugglers.
How quickly we go from
"fundamental importance of Indonesia to Australia and the world" in a Message From Prime Minister Abbott on President Joko Widodo Inauguration 19 October 2014
to "uneasy neighbours":
Australian PM Plays Down Bullying Allegations in Spat With Indonesia as a diplomatic rift deepens between the uneasy neighbors over Jakarta's planned executions of two Australian drug smugglers [Jakarta Globe, 19 Feb 2015].
to "a wealthy country with far less leverage than it thinks trying to lord it over a developing one ... our relationship with Indonesia is in a state of disrepair." (Waleed Aly, 20 Feb)
There will always be periodic high drama in a close and intense relationship. There is no drama in Australia's relationship with Tajikistan, Cameroon or Uruguay. Is there?
Dr Phillip Mahnken, Editor
State and Territory Associations of Teachers of Indonesian
INTAN South Australia
WILTA Western Australia
Balai Bahasa Perth
ITA NSW NSW
Balai Bahasa ACT
"Now rapidly modernising, Indonesia is, like China before it, becoming a major player on the global stage. It is a force in the world - but for what? How much do we really know about its history, its politics, its cultures and its peoples? Demokrasi: Indonesia in the 21st Century is an accessible and authoritative introduction to this fascinating young nation." Demokrasi - Indonesia in the 21st Century by HAMISH MCDONALD
CIA Director Allen Dulles'
Cold War strategy
was focused on
the removal of Sukarno
JFK was in the way.
The Incubus of Intervention
The Indonesian Studies Newsletter
of the Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA)
Issue 73 January - April 2015
- Jakarta Globe extensive coverage of Bali 9 executions - conflict
- Prof. Tim Lindsay commentary on Jokowi and the executions "Indonesia'ss stance on the death penalty has become incoherent" 16 Feb 2015
- RUILI Intensive Language Program in Lombok 2015 latest reports and photos - also RUILI Program reported in NT newspaper 26 Feb 2015
- Mataram Lingua Franca Institute a new actor in languages education in Lombok
- Incubus of Intervention, Conflicting Indonesia Strategies Of John F. Kennedy And Allen Dulles by Poulgrain, Greg. Unthinkable concealed wealth in oil and gold, contrived insurrection in Indonesia, the Dulles brothers, de Mohrenschildt, Rockefellers, decolonisation, Konfrontasi. How did this global network of influences and agendas result in the disappearance of two troublesome presidents, Sukarno and JFK, and the creation of a New Order Indonesia strongly amenable to Western ambitions? Foreword: Baskara T Wardaya. Book distribution points in Malaysia and Singapore or, in Australia, email Dr Greg Poulgrain. Indonesian edition expected in 2015.
- Truth Will Out: Indonesian Accounts of the 1965 Mass Violence (Herb Feith Translation Series) by Baskara T Wardaya, Jennifer Lindsay, 2013.
- Fuse lit with rhetorical bomb about Indonesia by Waleed Aly, 20 Feb 2015
- Thanks to Dr Greg Poulgrain for pointing out this excellent readable essay with its important messages. Why Indonesia Matters. "Two things set Indonesia apart. First, while the rise of other BRICS countries was related to, first and foremost, economic growth and military spending, Indonesia came in on the back of democratization and regional engagement.
- For the linguists: The cognitive benefits of multilingualism by Cody C. Delistraty, on SBS taken from The Atlantic 20 OCT 2014
- Indonesia: a complex country we only think about when we want something March 1, 2015 by Michael Bachelard, Fairfax's recently returned Indonesia correspondent makes a plea for a deeper understanding of our near neighbour.
- Commentary: Indonesia and Australia? Watch Your Language by Zane Goebell 27 Feb 2015
- #CoinsForAustralia and soft power in Indonesia by Catriona Croft-Cusworth for the Lowy Institute Interpreter 26 Feb 2015
- Andrew Carr says or wishes the era of Engagement is over on the front webpage of the Lowy Interpreter. Australian courtship of Asia is over, says Carr; we are in a true marriage now. Uh oh! Andrew Carr posts.
- By-Lines, Balibo, Bali Bombings: Tapsell says don't blame the journos by Tony Maniaty, journalist, academic, author. The Australian 11 April 2015
- Meet the teacher Andrea Corston the passion for Indonesia and language teaching. The Advertiser 7 April 2015
- Asian nations as valuable partners, Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce says by Helen Brown. ASEAN is a bigger trading bloc for us than China."
- Prof. Tim Lindsay lecture in Brisbane 'Preposterous Caricatures': Why is the Australia Indonesia relationship so difficult? GOMA South Bank 5.30 pm 19 May 2015
- Bilingual Bicultural A lifetime advantage. News. Tips. Benefits. Events.
- Indonesia murdered eight people. The time for being polite is over by
Gay Alcorn in The Guardian 29 April 2015
- Bali Nine: Indonesia defends executions of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran as part of 'war' on drugs ABC News. Same Page: Diplomat's withdrawal likely to backfire, Indonesian analyst says
From last issue.
ASILE Conference site at IALF Bali 29 and 30 September 2014. Now has 23 papers available online
- Report with photos on 13th ASILE
Conference at IALF Bali by Astrid Dux of St Bede's College Mentone Victoria. [5 Oct 2014]
- Language Learning Space - Teacher Module: Promoting Indonesia (and Indonesian): A Case Study
- Australia Indonesia Youth Association (AIYA) - Getting involved by Chris Hall.
- Resourceful Indonesian database Indonesian teaching learning resources by Jim Athanasiadis in Brisbane Australia
- The John Fawcett Foundation assists needy
people in Indonesia ...without religious, political or ethnic consideration. Best known for its Sight Restoration and Blindness Prevention Project, incorporating the Mobile Eye Clinic for Cataract Surgery.
[NEW]University of the Sunshine Coast launches Diploma in Languages
- [NEW] Open Letter to President of Indonesia - Fight for New Indonesia by ANDRE VLTCHEK in Counterpunch 31 Oct 2014 - hard hitting radical analysis in "America's Best Political Newsletter."
- Indonesian president makes shaky start with cabinet of compromises by Tim Lindsey in The Conversation 29 October 2014
- University of Wisconsin brings out more excellent Indonesian learning materials. To see all on offer, visit Ellen Rafferty's department page, or the Southeast Asia Homepage. To get to work, visit the new reading resource Ayo Membaca or the older superb Warung Sinema for Listening Comprehension improvement at Intermediate level [Look for Lesson Access].
- Bringing a little of Noosa to Lombok by Bill Hoffman in the Sunshine Coast Daily.
- Study Travel to Indonesian booms in 'Jokowi effect' by Bernard Lane in the Australian. 26 Nov 2014 Online: ACICIS reports boom in study travel to Indonesia in 'Jokowi effect'
- New Colombo Plan Scholars announced We congratulate all 17 Fellows, 69 recipients of NCP Scholarships and more than 1300 mobility grant students. See Scholar information [pdf]. Congratulations also to the government for this scheme investing in Australia's future in the Asia Pacific Region.
- [NEW] Demokrasi by Hamish McDonald, Walkley winning foreign correspondent, now ANU researcher. Timely update on the nation of Indonesia and all we need to know about it but don't. [Thanks Jessie Doring for passing this on.]
- West Timor students visit Challis Primary in WA. Song, dance, drama, music, joyful language and culture learning.
- Second Language Teaching Pedagogy in Bilingual Classes by Tudor-Alexandru COSTEA
Master 2 Langues et Cultures Etrangères Etudes Anglophones - Université Lumière-Lyon2. Published via Academia.edu So good for all languages teachers at all levels always to be thinking about our practice and why we do what we do (our theories). Or don't. Or can't. And why not.
- DFAT Australian Aid to Indonesia - look for why we give aid, how we give aid, partnerships, collaboration opportunities, how to get involved, volunteers, awards scholarships, and more
- Indonesia Council Digest ASAA's monthly digest of university Indonesianist news
- Languages Action Alliance always promoting positive achievements and useful information in languages education in Australia
- Inside Indonesia Edition 117 incisive truth seeking information about Indonesia.
- Australia Indonesia Youth Association - see state chapters and Jakarta
- Bali - The Dark Side of Paradise Documentary : Reporter: Denham Hitchcock (at vimeo; at YouTube and at Resourceful Indonesian on the Documentary Evidence page.)
Oldies but goodies
- Australia Indonesia Youth Exchange Program - open every year for young Australians (21 to 25) with an interest in Indonesia to take part in AIYEP - a fantastic two months in Indonesia from December to February. Application forms and advice to applicants can be found on the Australia Indonesia Institute website.
Return to the RAMBU WACANA - signpost to Indonesia-related links
Community Indonesian Language Class on the Sunshine Coast (MS Word)
Relevant reading in past issues for students, teachers, scholars, lobbyists, citizens.
Issue 71 Issue 70
Issue 69 Issue 68, 67, 66, 65,64, 63, 62, 61, 60, 59, 58, 57, 56, 55, 54, 53, 52, 51 50 49 48 47 46 45 44,43,42, 41, 40,39, 38, 37, 36, 35, 34, 33, 32, 31, 30, 29, 28, 27, 26
5th International Conference
on Indonesian Studies (ICIS)
of Universitas Indonesia
held in Yogyakarta 13-15 June 2013
Theme: Kobarkan Semangatmu: Working Together to Overcome Challenges
See over 20 papers posted
from our colleagues.
See ASILE at
Balai Bahasa ACT
Permanent ASILE website at wikispaces
ASILE 2012 and KIPBIPA VIII at UKSW in Salatiga ASILE: 1-4 October 2012
Website : http://ltc.uksw.edu/kipbipa-asile/
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/kipbipa.asile
Era Baru, Semangat Baru: Peningkatan intensitas kerja sama program BIPA di Dalam dan Luar Negeri
or follow us on twitter: @kipbipaasile2012
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
ASILE 2010: June 2010 flyer
Maju Bersama - Lanjutkan!
Collaboration and Other Learning Initiatives
Venue: UNSW@ADFA, Campbell, ACT
Dates: 29-30 September 2010 (followed by FREE Indonesia Update @ANU 1-2 October)
Registration: $225, early bird $200
ASILE home at wikispaces
ASILE 2009 Homepage at MLTA NSW
ASILE 2009 archive (slideshare) also D Reeve's on methodology
ASILE 2007 Conference Proceedings
from the Sunshine Coast
and selected archived presentations from previous ASILE conferences at WACANA