ISN Issue 77
Welcome to Issue 77 - second issue for 2016.
Published at USC since 1999
Editor: Dr Phillip Mahnken,
State and Territory Associations of Teachers of Indonesian
INTAN South Australia
WILTA Western Australia
Balai Bahasa Perth
ITA NSW NSW
Balai Bahasa ACT
Indonesia Council on Facebook.
Indonesia Council Digest
ASAA's monthly digest of university Indonesianist news
Australlian universities - Indonesian language programs
UQ Uni of Qld, Brisbane
USC Uni of Sunshine Coast, Qld
Uni of Sydney Sydney, NSW
Uni of New England Armidale, NSW and online
ANU Canberra, ACT
ADFA (UNSW) Canberra, ACT
Monash Melb, Victoria
Uni Melbourne Melb, Victoria
Deakin Melb, Geelong & online, Victoria
Flinders U South Australia
UWA Perth, Western Australia
Australian Consortium for In Country Indonesian Studies (ACICIS)
The Lombok In-Country Program of RUILI
SmartTraveller Indonesian Advice
Linking people Connections and encounters between Australians and Indonesians, Antje Missbach and Jemma Purdey (eds.) a collection of thoughtful essays. Table of Contents
The Indonesian Studies Newsletter
of the Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA)
Issue 77 May - August 2016
- East Bali Poverty Project seeks English Teacher Volunteer. Know a teacher who'd like at least one term in a different challenging rewarding environment? Volunteer page
- Burnside State High School Indonesia Day 20 July 2016
- LECTURER IN INDONESIAN STUDIES
at Uni of Sydney.
- Understanding Indonesia Conference 17-18 June at CDU, Darwin, NT Language and identity conference and language workshops
- ASILE 2016 in Adelaide 30 September - 2 October 2016 Flinders University, Victoria Square, Adelaide.
Biennial Conference of the Australian Society of Indonesian Language Educators. See ASILE Website and ASILE 2016 Facebook page for news
- Review: Kartini's complete legacy written by Pam Allen 30 May 2016 in Inside Indonesia
- Made Kinten Balinese Dance Magic by Kyer Wiltshire, modern hunter-gatherer January 30, 2016
- "Lulusan Jurusan Sastra Mau Jadi Apa?" 9 Pekerjaan Bergaji Besar Ini Siap Menanti Kamu! Kuncinya, tetap percaya diri!
- Pregnant orang-utan pictured clinging to final tree as bulldozers destroy rainforest around her
- Why expats shouldn't be bothered by hello misterrr - cultural knowledge Indonesia by Silke, 1 June 2016
- Jakarta Governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama says anybody engaging in illegal Ramadan sweeps will be arrested. 2 June 2016
- LABOR'S LANGUAGE SCHOLARSHIPS FOR TEACHERS WILL HELP OUR STUDENTS MAKE THE MOST OF THE ASIAN CENTURY Kate Ellis, MHR, 1 June 2016
- UniBRIDGE works to increase your language fluency and confidence. UniBRIDGE allows you to meet online with student peers from Indonesia and Australia. Meet your language exchange partners on the online video-lesson program to improve your language skills through real-time conversations as well as more structured speaking practice activities. Help your partners learn new things about your language as well. UniBRIDGE Website Facebook
- The "Hobbit" Lineage May Be Much Older Than Previously Thought Smithsonian Magazine
- Indonesia one of top five plastic polluters The biggest contributor to that mass of ocean plastic is China, followed by countries like Indonesia, the Philippines and Vietnam.
- A History of Modern Indonesia by Adrian Vickers, reviewed by Sebastian McLellan. "... a pleasure to read. Vickers avoids the trap of musty history; it does not get lost in minutiae nor fall into a monotonous drone."
- Indonesian police raid daytime Ramadan food traders This page hosts an Indonesian language news video useful to language students. It reflects what sort of Islam dominates in different parts of Indonesia, e.g. Banten just west of Jakarta.
- Bu, Jangan Remehkan Pelajaran Bahasa Indonesia Pebrianov, 16 July 2016
- Sustainable Community Development in Lombok - Asset Protection with Economic Growth by Paul Summers, Noela Summers and Monica Linssen. Work on Lombok in 2014 and 2016 and the progress made since the USC's programmes were run in 2012 and 2014. Also papers given while on Lombok and reports associated with workshops.
- Australia Indonesia Perceptions Report 2016 The report and this microsite present the key findings from the research, with results from Indonesia and Australia presented side by side to allow the reader to easily absorb and contrast the statistics. Intorductory video. Key findings. Australia-Indonesia Center at Melbourne's Monash University and compiled by EY Sweeney.
- Australia Indonesia Perceptions Report 2016: "Indonesians and Australians not so different after all" Posted on August 14, 2016 at Australia-Indonesia Center at Melbourne's Monash University and compiled by EY Sweeney.
- 'Unclean, Unsafe': Australian Study Finds Unfavorable Views of Indonesia Australia-Indonesia Center at Melbourne's Monash University and compiled by EY Sweeney. Jakarta Globe]
Samples from Issue 75
- Reflections on the 2014 Lombok Program...thank you RUILI April 2015 [pdf] by Janelle Falconer, currently in ACICIS program, Malang.
- Student opinions, reports and photos from ten years of the Lombok program
- Author discusses his book "The Incubus of Intervention" - Dr Greg Poulgrain, Indonesian specialist talks with Jan Bartlett on 3CR 855 Community Radio, Brisbane (stream or download - the 'relevant section' starts at the 58th minute). 50 years on from the 30 September 1965, evidence is being put together that Indonesia and Papua were part of a strategy conceived decades before by Allen Dulles. Rethink modern Indonesian history.
- Indonesia's fires labelled a 'crime against humanity' as 500,000 suffer Kate Lamb 26 Oct 2015
- Indonesia is burning. So why is the world looking away? George Monbiot
Guardian 30 Oct 2015 " That smoke blotting out the nation, which has already cost it some $30bn? That, apparently, is development."
- Indonesia Council Digest ASAA's monthly digest of university Indonesianist news
- Languages Action Alliance always promoting positive achievements and useful information in languages education in Australia
- Inside Indonesia Edition 124 Asylum in Indonesia- March 2016 - incisive truth seeking information about Indonesia.
- Australia Indonesia Youth Association - see state chapters and Jakarta
- Resourceful Indonesian over 5000 items listed.
- Indonesian Online at University of Hawaii. Many levels, free access to all materials, or enrol and pay for assessment and accreditation
Oldies but goodies
- Australia Indonesia Youth Exchange Program - open every year for young Australians (21 to 25) with an interest in Indonesia to take part in AIYEP - a fantastic two months in Indonesia from December to February. Application forms and advice to applicants can be found on the Australia Indonesia Institute website.
Return to the RAMBU WACANA - signpost to Indonesia-related links
Community Indonesian Language Class on the Sunshine Coast (MS Word)
Indonesia Council Conference and workshop 2016
Understanding Indonesia: Language and Identity
Conference and Language Workshops
CDU Casuarina Campus - Darwin
Friday and Saturday 17-18 June 2016
Registrations for the 2016 Australian Society of Indonesian Language Educators (ASILE) Conference are now open, with Early bird registration available until 31 July.
ASILE 2016 in Adelaide - the 14th ASILE Conference -
30 September - 2 October 2016
Flinders University, Victoria Square, Adelaide
Title and Theme: INDOVASI menuju paradigma baru
[Innovation in Indonesian: towards a new paradigm]
See ASILE 2016 website.
ASILE 2016 Facebook page, ASILE on Twitter, ASILE on Instagram, ASILE at INTAN news. Please contribute your ideas for presentations and papers now. New thinking about languages education, about Australia Indonesia relations, about classroom techniques, new technology results, a new generation of teachers and students, in-country programs, new opportunities and challenges.
Relevant reading in past ISN issues for students, teachers, scholars, lobbyists, citizens.
Issue 74 Issue 73 72 71 70
69 68, 67 66 65 64 63 62 61 60 59 58 57 56 55 54 53 52 51 50 49 48 47 46 45 44 43 42 41 40 39 38 37 36 35 34 33 32 31 30 29 28 27 26
Theme: Kobarkan Semangatmu: Working Together to Overcome Challenges
See over 20 papers posted
from our colleagues.
See ASILE at
Balai Bahasa ACT
Permanent ASILE website at wikispaces
ASILE 2012 and KIPBIPA VIII at UKSW in Salatiga ASILE: 1-4 October 2012
Website : http://ltc.uksw.edu/kipbipa-asile/
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/kipbipa.asile
Era Baru, Semangat Baru: Peningkatan intensitas kerja sama program BIPA di Dalam dan Luar Negeri
or follow us on twitter: @kipbipaasile2012
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
ASILE 2010: June 2010 flyer
Maju Bersama - Lanjutkan!
Collaboration and Other Learning Initiatives
Venue: UNSW@ADFA, Campbell, ACT
Dates: 29-30 September 2010 (followed by FREE Indonesia Update @ANU 1-2 October)
ASILE home at wikispaces
ASILE 2009 Homepage at MLTA NSW
ASILE 2009 archive (slideshare) also D Reeve's on methodology
ASILE 2007 Conference Proceedings
from the Sunshine Coast
and selected archived presentations from previous ASILE conferences at WACANA